More Able, Gifted and Talented
Harvills Hawthorn Primary School has been reaccredited by the National Association for Able Children in Education (NACE) which recognises that we provide a range of experiences for more able, gifted and talented children to achieve and exceed their full potential.
At Harvills Hawthorn Primary School, we value the progress and advancement of the more able, gifted and talented pupils helping them to exceed expectations. This belief is demonstrated by the school as a whole through our vision “To be the very best that we can be.”
We believe that by encouraging and helping more able, gifted and talented children to exceed their age-related expectations, we are creating a recipe for success for each child’s future. This encouragement is provided throughout the curriculum, including enrichment activities where a child may express and improve upon a talent.
Our principal aims are to:
• Ensure that all staff can successfully identify more able, gifted or talented children as early as possible, through an agreed, shared definition of the said terms;
• Ensure that staff challenge and extend the children through the work that they set them;
• Develop the children’s thinking skills through extended and enriched learning activities and diverse questioning;
• Offer children opportunities to generate their own learning;
• Encourage the children to work independently;
• Develop the specific skills or talents of each child;
• Be concerned not only for children’s academic development, but also for their social, moral, spiritual and emotional development.